Everything is Holy Now - Lenten Reflections - Week 6

 

Holy Now Lyrics - Peter Mayer

When I was a boy each week,  On Sunday we would go to church Pay attention to the Priest, and he would read the Holy word and consecrate the Holy bread, and everyone would kneel and bow Today the only difference is, Everything is Holy now Everything, Everything, Everything is Holy now

When I was in Sunday school, We would learn about the time Moses split the sea in two, and Jesus made the water wine I remember feeling sad, Miracles don't happen still but now I can't keep track, cause Everything’s a Miracle Everything, Everything, Everything a Miracle

Wine from water is not so small, but an even better magic trick is that anything is here at all, So, The challenging thing becomes Not to look for Miracles, but finding where there isn’t one

When Holy water was rare at best, It barely wet my fingertips but now I have to hold my breath, like I'm swimming in a sea of it It used to be a world half there, Heavens second rate hand me down but I walk it with a reverent air, cause Everything is Holy now Everything, Everything, Everything is Holy now

Read a questioning child's face, and say it's not a testament, that'd be hard to say see another new morning come, and say it's not  a Sacrament, I tell you that it can't be done


This morning outside I stood, saw a little red wing bird Shining like a burning bush, and singing like a scripture verse it made me want to bow my head, I remember when church let out How things have changed since then, Everything is Holy Now
Everything,   Everything, Everything is Holy Now

Over these past decades, I’ve had a multitude of conversations with folks, representing many religious viewpoints, and no religious viewpoints.  I’ve enjoyed these conversations immensely.   I’ve appreciated the candor with which these people spoke and the trust that was put in me as sometimes deeply personal, and sometimes painful, experiences have been shared.  

I identify as a Christian.  What I’ve learned in these past decades, however, is that being a Christian means different things to different people.  I remember going to dinner one evening with Howard, my minister and boss, at First Pres. before a meeting that we had later that evening.  He was wearing his collar, so he was easily identified as a minister.  As we were waiting in line for the hostess to seat us, a young man (probably about my age at the time) in line in front of us, turned around and asked Howard, “Have you been Born Again”?  While this was another jaw dropping moment for me, Howard simply grinned and replied, “Yes, I’ve been Born Again”.    I leave this one be. 

In a similar experience, a musician that played at the Coffeehouse that I ran on Friday Nights in the early 80’s, approached me right before we were getting ready to close.   He wanted to pray with me.  That was fine with me, so we sat down on a bench.  

Before he began, he asked, “Have you received the Holy Spirit”? 

I answered, “Yes”.  

He continued, “Are you sure?” 

I kind of knew where he was going, but I affirmed that, yes, I was sure.

He then asked, “Have you been given the gift of tongues?”  

(sigh) I knew this was coming.  I told him that I had not, and he proceeded to let me know that I must not have received the Holy Spirit, so he wanted to pray with me to receive the Holy Spirit and the gift of tongues.  It was late, and while I didn’t share his understanding on receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit or the gift of tongues, I was always open to prayer and whatever blessing might be bestowed. So, he led us in prayer.  He was good at it, too.  

After praying that I receive the spirit, he prayed for tongues and then said to me, “now Bill, repeat after me, “Allah bo-teese” (I have no idea how that might be spelled)

I did.   He said it again.   I repeated, again. He then said, “again”. I did so - again.  We did this a couple more times, and then he closed the prayer and thank God for giving me the gift of tongues.  (Hmmm) Then he looked up at me and said, (I promise, this is true) 

“Now Bill, you’ve just received the Holy Spirit and the gift of tongues.   But you must understand, Satan is going to tell you that you haven’t.  He's going to tell you that you just repeated the words that I said, but that’s not true.   God gave you those words.  You can’t let Satan make you believe it isn’t so.”  

I don’t know what my facial expression might have expressed, but I remember being stunned.   It was late though, and I’m sure this guy’s heart was genuine in his desire for me to enjoy God’s blessings, so I thanked him and finished closing up the Coffeehouse.   

I mention these stories because throughout these decades outside the cocoon, living and working with folks from all over, I would hear the stories and experiences of good, loving, generous and joyful people who had faded away from their Church, because they no longer felt akin to the Church’s teaching of the Gospel. Their problem was not their belief in God, or Jesus, or Teachings of the Way.  Rather, Churches had begun drawing lines in the sand where Jesus had never drawn them.   Perceived sins that Jesus had never spoke about at all, became a litmus test for the legitimacy of a person’s faith. Basically, their understanding of right theology had been placed over right relationship and right loving. 

In the 90’s and early 2000’s, Biologist Richard Dawkins, author of “The God Delusion” made a name for himself going on the attack against the belief in God and Religion in general – and made a lot of many developing it as an industry.    Of course, his mission was to develop a purely scientific worldview and promote the theory of evolution, which was, to be honest, being attacked by the Biblical literalist of the Church.    So, in many respects, the defense of science and the theory of evolution was an honest effort. On the other hand, I detested the idea that Dawkins was misrepresenting what Christians believe and then proceeded to denigrate them for believing it.  Both camps, however, ignored the long-held view of the Church that Science and Religious Faith need not conflict with each other. 

I find it ironic that Augustine is thought to be the first theologian to coin the term “inerrant” in referring to the sacred scripture, yet also engaged in the debate with the phrase “Credo ut intelligam.  The sentence translates as: "I believe so that I may understand". Augustine took the position that there is no inherent conflict between science and the Bible, arguing that both reveal aspects of God's truth, and that God would not contradict himself.  Where there is an apparent contradiction, he asserted it was because one failed to understand the other.  

Further, Augustine writes prayerfully, “When I hear one or other of my fellow Christians expressing a mistaken opinion arising from his ignorance in these fields, I regard with tolerance the person who entertains the notion.  As long as he does not believe anything unseemly about you, O Lord, creator of all things, I do not see that it does him any harm if he chances to be ignorant of the position or characteristics of a material creature.  It does harm him, however, if he thinks his view forms an essential part of our doctrine and belief and presumes to go on obstinately making assertions about what he does not know.” Confessions

And lastly, St. Augustine writes, "Some people read a book in order to discover God. But there is a greater book - the actual appearance of created things. Look above and below you, and note and read. The God that you want to discover did not write in letters of ink but put in front of your eyes the very things that he made. Can you ask for a louder voice than that?" Sermons 68, 6, Augustine of Hippo

This quote is particularly significant to me because St. Augustine has often been quoted as promoting the inerrancy of the Bible.  These same people are quick to challenge ones “experience of God” or ones understanding of the Word of God (Jesus) as gleaned through prayer and meditation, as insufficient when contradictory to the infallible, inerrant and literal text of the Bible.   

The question for me has long been; What is it that is non-negotiable?   What is it that I must believe?   What is always true?  What is the Gospel Truth?    

As we approach Palm Sunday, we commemorate the triumphant entry of Jesus into Jerusalem. Previously, Jesus frequently mentioned that it was not yet His time. However, now He declares that it is. Jesus, believed to have been active in ministry for three years, spent his entire life teaching those around Him. Now, He enters Jerusalem with the twelve apostles and scores of disciples, prepared to confront the significant moment.

This week, I pondered why Jesus considered this "his time." It seems plausible that He believed His disciples were ready—not perfect or fully obedient to the law, nor immune to returning to their old lives—but transformed in heart and mind through observing Him – God made flesh. Between entering Jerusalem and facing His ultimate sacrifice, Jesus sought to comfort His disciples, ensuring they had everything needed to live transformed lives that would contribute to building the Kingdom of God on earth, as it is in heaven.

Jesus had introduced new perspectives on the Kingdom of God, on living separated from God, and the essence of religious that laws given to the Jewish people. He emphasized understanding the spirit behind the law, not just the letter. When directly asked about the core commandments, Jesus pointed to loving God and loving one's neighbor and defined neighbor as basically everyone.  This is what is essential for participation in building God's Kingdom.

On my own journey, I’ve relied on critical promises and core teachings to keep me focused on the Teachings of the Way.      

1.) When we seek, we will find. When we knock, the door shall be opened. And, when we ask, we will receive.  An honest and sincere quest for understanding will never result in separation from God. Matt 7:7-8    So when I’m talking with someone about their faith, I am not alarmed when we find instances of disagreement. I rest in and celebrate that they are seeking God – and I believe there is only One God. 

2.) Because nothing can separate us from God's love when called to pursue truth. Romans 8:31-39

3.) Perhaps the most transformative teaching is Christ's directive to:  Love the Lord with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself.  Luke 10:27; Matt 22 36-40; Mark 12: 28-31; Deut 6:5 The rich young ruler left saddened, not due to unwillingness to follow, but because he realized that mere obedience lacked the spirit of love necessary for true adherence to the law. Actions done solely to obey, without love, miss the transformation intended by God's law. Obedience is not all that hard, especially from a place of riches and privilege.  Living in a selfless state of love is far more difficult.  

4.)  We will know spirit-led obedience through it’s fruit - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, humility, and self-control. Misinterpretations of the law arise when actions fail to yield good fruit, demonstrating a misunderstanding of the law. The profits emphasized that God is not pleased with, and never commanded, our transactional obedience, sacrifices or religiosity.  Hos 6:6  I want your constant love, not your animal sacrifices. I would rather have my people know me than burn offerings to me.

So after 3 years (3 score and 5, for me) of walking along side Jesus, and “sitting ‘round the glowing campfire, looking upon the Master’s face, speaking words of timeless mystery, a truth that time cannot erase”, the beginning of the new beginning, begins.  

See you next week.   

Comments

Popular Posts