If I could be a Republican, I could know that everything is ok
The polarization is getting worse and worse. It’s really kind of scary – not so much as
to what may happen economically or regarding foreign policy, but rather the way
in which people are treating each other is troubling. When did the divide get so huge? I have both dear friends and family who
consider themselves Republican – and for good reason. The Republican values
they hold are sensible and reasonable – at least in my humble opinion, as I
hold many of the same values.
I think a small Federal Government would be great. It has always seemed to me that the most
effective Government is the Government that is close to home. Our
local governments should have the most effect on our daily lives.
I think free enterprise has been essential in making the
U.S. the country where dreams can truly come true. The idea of entrepreneurship is fantastic
and should be recognized and celebrated.
We've had 2 Presidents in the last 20 years that have come from meager
beginnings. They've truly been a grand
example of the American Dream.
I like the idea of low taxes. If I work hard and earn money then I
shouldn't have to give a bunch of it away to the government.
I believe in a strong military. Let’s face it, there have been, and still are
those in the world who would trample those weaker in order to build their own
kingdom if the rest of the world let them. “All that is necessary for evil to triumph
is for good men to do nothing” (Edmund Burke).
I believe in the concept of compassionate conservatism. I like the idea of hand up over a hand
out. I believe that people tend to live
up to the expectations that people have for them, and if we don’t expect people
to care for themselves they probably won’t.
And who better then to take care of those in need than their neighbors,
family relatives, fellow church members and the community in which they
live.
I agree that federal regulation is not the answer for
everything. Of course guns are a
tool. They are used by people and the
people are obviously responsible for own actions. I believe we have a responsibility value our
freedoms and police ourselves.
Can anyone really argue against such principles? It’s no wonder, really, that the people I
know to be wonderful, loving, smart and compassionate people would align
themselves with such principles.
And of course, this is the party of Lincoln, the first
Republican President. Talk about
governing at a time of such internal conflict.
And he was hero to the African American and all environmentalists. He deeded Yosemite Valley and the Mariposa
Big Tree Grove to California for public enjoyment and recreation. He then
established Yellowstone as the first National Park.
As president, Theodore Roosevelt (Republican) established 155 national forests, two-thirds
of the present system, five national parks, 18 national monuments and 55 bird
and game preserves, the cornerstones of our national wildlife refuge system.
It was President Nixon (Republican) who established the
Environmental Protection Agency and signed the Clean Air Act.
President Eisenhower (Republican) led the Republicans with
their 1956 Republican Platform that
called for expansion of Social Security, broadened unemployment
insurance, and better health protection for all of our people. It called for
voting rights--full voting civil rights for D.C. It called for expanding the minimum wage to
cover more workers. It called for improved job safety for workers, and equal
pay for workers regardless of sex. The following quotes are directly from Pres.
Eisenhower.
"Workers have a
right to organize into unions and to bargain collectively with their employers.
And a strong, free labor movement is an invigorating and necessary part of our
industrial society."
"Only a fool
would try to deprive working men and women of their right to join the union of
their choice."
"Should any
political party attempt to abolish Social Security, unemployment insurance, and
eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again
in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that
believes you can do these things, but their number is negligible and"--and
the president says- they are stupid."
Oh yes, if only I could be a Republican, I would then know
that everything would be ok. But I can’t
be a Republican, because the Republican principles of old are not the
Republican principles of today. And,
those principles which are still central to the Republican party, such as small
federal government and minimal regulation and personal responsibility just are
unfortunately no longer relevant in today’s world. In short, a small federal government that
depends on the personal responsibility of the individual people to establish
justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote
the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our
posterity, just doesn't work anymore.
The problem is, we the people – as individuals seem to have
lost our way. Too many, especially the
wealthy and powerful, have just become too greedy and self-centered.
Many in our society are no longer willing to take care their
own – not their neighbors, not even their family members.
We clearly do not police ourselves. Way too often the
thinking is, if nobody knows I did it, I didn't do it.
We can’t get paid enough. Is there really an individual who
believes they have earned $6000 per hour?
(average S&P 500 CEO pay).
Even JP Morgan, one of the most influential bankers ever, believed that
the highest paid employee should be paid no more than 20 times the lowest paid
employee of a company.
To many, the concept of Social Justice is seen as evil. The idea of equality and fairness has given
way to an economic evolution of survival of the fittest.
By whatever means, people will forward their agenda,
regardless of whether that means suppressing the vote or unfairly and
unreasonably redistricting the representative districts, or buying influence
with legislatures.
What used to be considered as employee exploitation is now
considered good business practices.
Essential services and resources, such as healthcare and
energy, are no longer priced based on cost plus a reasonable profit. They are priced on “what the market will
bear”, regardless of the consumers who no longer are able to receive these
lifesaving services and resources.
Today it’s about winning, or worse, it’s about protecting
what’s “ours”. The idea that we should
be grateful for what we have been given and generous with what have is old
fashioned.
Being civil and polite with those we disagree with is
considered weak. Being sensitive and
careful to not offend is mocked as being “politically correct”, which is now a
terrible thing to be. .
Our communities have expanded to the point where it’s hard
to even define what we mean by a community anymore.
Our democracy is now a Plutocracy.
To make matters worse, what use to be party that simply held
differing views, but still put the needs of the country first, has now been
hi-jacked by some folks that seem willing to put their own agenda before the
health of the nation. Much of the
rhetoric is simply meant to misrepresent and mean-spirited. This group who has so much control just does
not represent anything that I believe.
I don’t think Pres Obama is out to hurt the nation or is the
anti-christ.
I don’t think Pres Obama is Muslim who is secretly trying to
bring Sharia law to the U.S.
I have no issues with Michelle Obama and can’t even imagine
how someone could feel good about slamming her. I've heard way too many times “I hate Michelle
Obama”.
(Nothing has been done to deserve such hatefulness. An election was won. It happens every 4 years.)
I do not believe that the unemployed are simply lazy and
wanting a hand out.
I do not believe that Pres Obama wants to take away everyone’s
guns.
I do not believe that everyone that works for the government
is receiving welfare.
I do not believe that Social and Economic Justice are code
words for communism.
I do not want the country to fail under Pres Obama’s
leadership.
I don’t think mainstream Republicans believe these things
either, but to hear the most vocal within the Republican Party speak, you
wouldn't know it, and the mainstream Republicans aren't speaking up against
such visceral positions.
It’s hard for me to come to grips with this. I would much prefer to see things
differently. I can understand why good,
decent people don’t see it the way I see it.
I didn't like it when people would make personal derogatory remarks
about Mitt Romney. I appreciated much of
what Mitt Romney stood for. This was a
man who freely gave millions of dollars each year to charity. He didn't have to do that. The thing is, I think he assumed that all of
his peers were as generous with their wealth and actually cared about the
welfare of others. And though I don’t think
he intended to offend the “47%”, it was clear he really didn't understand who
these people are. He was clearly out of
touch. Why wouldn't he be? There is huge
chasm between the life he lives and the life that most of us live.
When I consider most of the Republicans I know, I realize
that if all Republicans lived the values that these friends of mine live, those
good old fashioned Republican principles would work really well.
Trickle-down economics would work. The money really would trickle down to
employees. Employees would make a
living wage for good hard work. A good portion of profits really would be reinvested and create jobs. Success
wouldn't just be measured on how much money is made, but people would take
pride in what they produced.
Churches and communities would once again concern themselves
with taking care of those in need, rather than pushing political agendas.
The government would recognize their responsibility to establish
justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote
the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our
posterity.
To watch what is happening in Washington D.C. is difficult
for me. I want to believe that majority
of those who serve our Country as the peoples representatives truly want to
serve with integrity and are committed to the welfare of all of the people of
this nation. Likewise, it’s hard for me to
accept the widening chasm between so many good people that I know and respect. It’s hard for me to know that
the Party of Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt and Dwight Eisenhower has moved so far
away from the historical platform.
Small government, free enterprise, lower taxes, personal
responsibility, compassionate conservatism - who can really object to such
principles on their face value. It is
too bad that somewhere along the way, we the people, have rejected the values
that make such principles serve the interest of all the people.
Comments
Post a Comment