What's really not negotiable?


A few weeks ago I started a dialogue with a friend from many years ago.  It began because he sent me petition to sign asking that I support the ban of the gay kids from belonging to the Boy Scouts.   We clearly disagree on the issue, but to this point the dialogue has been civil and based upon a mutual respect for each other.  

Then this week I happily made contact with another friend from deployment.  We had both been a part of a weekly lunch group led by our favorite Chaplain.  We discussed some pretty hot topics and thoroughly enjoyed being able to share our joys, frustrations, concerns and appreciation of the Church.  She was a bit concerned about returning to her home church because she feared that they would not appreciate some of the epiphany’s involving her faith that had been realized during the deployment.  I learned this week that she did return to her home Church as she, in fact “absolutely loves the people there”.  She knows that they may disagree on some issues, but I’m glad she returned to her Church family, whom she loves.  Love Wins!  

Then today began the Supreme Court arguments involving homosexuality.  Wow!  It seems there is one big issue after another.  On one hand, that can be good, as it keeps us engaged in what is going on.   Addressing the issues is usually better then turning our heads and pretending that we just do not see.  But on the other hand, it seems the divide gets bigger and bigger.    

Of great concern to me is how divided people seem to be within the Church.  This past week as well, another very popular Christian author and speaker came out in favor of gay marriage.  Of course another well known minister, who has made a name for himself by repudiating other ministers, wrote his response declaring the announcement heresy.  Then   I read a really poignant article written by a gay Church member.  His article was not a discussion about whether homosexuality was sin or not, but rather he wanted to write an article to the faithful, to let them know that there are likely a lot homosexuals worshipping with them, but who remain in the closet and that they are often hurt by the horrible way in which their church family talks about them.  His Church family doesn’t know he’s gay.  They all think that he’s really a great guy, but he knows their opinion would change drastically if they knew.  

All of this has brought to mind what I’ve come to realize as one of the most important lessons in my life.  Back in the day…  when I was just a child of maybe 20 years old, I was attending a Presbytery meeting that was being held at my home Church.  For those who don’t know what a Presbytery is, it’s the first level of governing bodies above the local Presbyterian Church.  It is made up of ministers and delegates representing a group of local churches.   Sitting with me was a friend who I had always looked up to.  He was a few years older then I and not only was he always popular in any group to which he was a part, he was very well respected among the group members.   He was solid and was a person of faith.  Really he was a mentor to me.  Anyway, one of the responsibilities of the “Presbytery” was to examine candidates for ministry.  After they’ve completed all of their other requirements, the candidate must go before Presbytery and answer questions regarding their faith and their “calling” to be a minister of the Church.   Usually, the candidates distribute some written material about themselves, including their personal “Statement of Faith”.   As I reviewed the candidate’s material, I remember growing very concerned about what I was reading from one of the candidates.   Though the candidate did not write anything overtly contrary to the standard beliefs of the Presbyterian Church, what troubled me was what wasn’t there.   I was concerned that he didn’t believe in Hell.  Well, obviously I wasn’t the only one, because a couple of the Presbyters started to ask more pointed questions on the topic.   From the answers it was clear that this guy was an imposter.   He didn’t believe in Hell, at least the “hell” he was supposed to believe in.  Well, I began making comments to my friend about the Q&A that was unfolding in front of me.   I thought that this guy was going to be voted down.  My friend was also listening, but for some reason, he didn’t seem as concerned.  Hmmm.  What was up with that?   He simply nodded to me.   Then, the unthinkable happened.  The Presbytery voted on the candidate, and to my utter amazement, they accepted him!  Whoa!  What was up with THAT?  OMG, this guy was going to be a minister and he didn’t believe in hell!  How could that be?  I sat there and stewed the rest of the meeting.  And to make matters worse, my friend didn’t seem to be all that troubled.    

So, after the meeting, my friend and I were heading out to spend a couple of hours drinking coffee and solve all of the world’s problems.  I certainly knew what would be the topic that night.  I started as soon as we got outside.  I talked and complained and preached and made my case.   All the while, my friend listened and nodded and every once in a while I’d let him get a word in on the topic.   After some time, we hit a lull.  I really didn’t have much more to say.  Clearly, I was right and the Presbytery should not have approved that guy.  Then my friend looked at me and said it. “You know Bill, Jesus never said we had to believe in hell to enter the kingdom of heaven”.   What?  Wait! No.  He must have…  What about… no… hmmm, but,…. Well,…  maybe he didn’t.  He continued.  Even if he doesn’t believe in Hell, do you think he can still love God?  Well, yes.  Can he still love his neighbor?  Yes.  Can he still commit himself to seeking and serving God?  Yes.  Then what’s the big problem?   

Well, shut my mouth.  What was the problem?   The fact is, whether I believed in Hell or that guy didn’t, what stopped either of us from loving God and loving others?   I’ve never forgotten that, and those questions have become the new central questions in my life.   The fact is, when Jesus was being examined by the scholars, he answered clearly with what is, and is not, negotiable.  We are to love God and love our neighbor.  That’s it.  That sums it up, and he even elaborated on who our neighbor is as he told the parable of the Good Samaritan.  In Matthew, Mark and Luke, Jesus spoke the same truth.  In John, he spoke about us transforming our very beings, being born again, which would certainly happen if you start over by basing every question on whether or not you are loving God and loving your neighbor - in everything you do.    

Thank God for grace, because that’s a tall order.  Wouldn’t it be something if that were to really become the focus of our faith?   It seems to me that all the masters, of all the great religions, agree that should be the focus.  And if that is to be the focus, doesn’t that make questions like “what is hell?” and “what is the gender of the person that another person wants to love?” kind of small? 

Comments

  1. I am so glad I found your blog and that we re-connected! It is great to be able to read something so encouraging. I have really missed our lunch chats. Thanks for the shout-out by the way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again Katie. I miss our chats too.

      Delete
  2. Every time I visit I'm so glad that I did. Thank you Bill!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you. It's always nice to see you've visited.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts