Slowing it down...
So it’s a new year. 2013.
I didn’t do anything special to bring in the New Year. In fact, I’m pretty sure I was asleep by
midnight (Mountain Time). I did watch
the New Year arrive on CNN on the east coast, and was even still watching when
the Music Note was dropped in New Orleans.
Whenever I see the activity in Time Square, I always end up wishing I
was there. The energy can be felt all
the way through the airwaves. I see the
smiling faces and the shots of the New Year kisses, between happy and excited
couples. There’s music and
confetti. People had been waiting since
noon to get into the square so they could be a part of the event. I’m sure people traveled from far, far away
to be there – for some, I’m sure it was part of their bucket list.
So why wasn’t it an event for me? I didn’t make any New Year resolutions and
really didn’t think much about it all day.
For me at this point, it’s hard for me to put a vision together for the
year to come. But it just keeps
coming. Year after year, there is no
slowing it down. In fact, as most of us
get older, it feels like time is moving quicker. I know that’s not true. The way we measure time hasn’t changed in my
lifetime. So why does it feel like it
does. That is the thought that is with
me as 2013 arrives. I’m thinking that it
goes faster because the number of “events” in my life is getting fewer and
fewer. The fact is, the next “event” in
my life may be weeks or months away, but that is what I’m looking forward to,
and that results in my wishing time away.
If the next event only happens 4 or 5 times a year, well, that’s how I’ll
remember 2013, this time next year. But
in earlier years, I know the next “event” was only a day away – or even that
night! (“Tonight” from West Side Story
starts playing in the background) I suppose I often thought – “I can’t wait
until I get older, or old enough to drive, or go out without a curfew, or live
on my own.” but, I also know that each day, my day was usually packed with
really important happenings. Everything
seemed to be really important to me back then.
So, this year, I’m going to try to slow it down. I’m going to make a conscious effort to not
wish time away. Starting this blog is
one of the exercises I intend to use to slow it down. Documenting activities and thoughts and
conversing about issues is bound to make me consider each day a new day. So, here I go. It’s Jan 1st, and it’s not
over. I took a walk, had a cup of coffee
and read the paper, watched a movie and now started this blog. Not a bad start. See you soon.
i'm here, brother. i love it that you are too.
ReplyDeleteFan-tastic
ReplyDelete